- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
World Tourism Day 2019
What to study?
For Prelims: WTD- theme, objectives and significance, About UNWTO.
For Mains: Tourism industry- Significance, scope, challenges in development and ways to address them.
Context: This day is commemorated each year on 27 September, with celebrations led by UNWTO.
The day of September 27 was chosen for World Tourism Day because the Constitution of the World Tourism Organization was accepted on this day in 1970.
- Objectives: to raise awareness about the role of tourism around the world and to promote social, cultural, political and economic values.
- 2019 theme: “Tourism and jobs: a better future for all”.
- Host: India.
What is it?
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
UNWTO’s membership includes 158 countries, 6 Associate Members and over 500 Affiliate Members representing the private sector, educational institutions, tourism associations and local tourism authorities.
- Promotes tourism as a driver of economic growth, inclusive development and environmental sustainability and offers leadership and support to the sector in advancing knowledge and tourism policies worldwide.
- Encourages the implementation of the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism, to maximize tourism’s socio-economic contribution while minimizing its possible negative impacts, and is committed to promoting tourism as an instrument in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), geared towards reducing poverty and fostering sustainable development worldwide.
- Generates market knowledge, promotes competitive and sustainable tourism policies and instruments, fosters tourism education and training, and works to make tourism an effective tool for development through technical assistance projects in over 100 countries around the world.