RSTV: IN DEPTH- INCREDIBLE INDIA
In just two years, India has moved up six places to rank 34th in the world travel and tourism competitiveness index. It is the biggest improvement among the top 25 per cent of all countries ranked in the report over 2017.”India, which accounts for the majority of South Asia’s. The World Economic Forum that prepared the report credits India’s good showing to its rich natural and cultural resources and also the strong price competitiveness.In a list of top 35 tourist destinations
Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index 2019
- The Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report was first published in 2007 by the World Economic Forum.
- The index is a measurement of the factors that make it attractive to develop business in the travel and tourism industry of individual countries, rather than a measure of a country attractiveness as a tourist destination.
- The report ranks selected nations according to the Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index (TTCI), which scores from 1 to 6 the performance of a given country in each specific subindex.
- Based on region’s proportion of employment in tourism industry.
- WEF engage in year long review process.
- Part of UN SDG’s
- Features tourism in 3 SDG
- 140 countries ranked within 4 sub-indices
- Pillars by Subindexes
- SUBINDEX A: ENABLING ENVIRONMENT
- Pillar 1: Business Environment
- Pillar 2: Safety and Security
- Pillar 3: Health and Hygiene
- Pillar 4: Human Resources and Labour Market
- Pillar 5: ICT Readiness
- SUBINDEX B: T&T POLICY AND ENABLING CONDITIONS
- Pillar 6: Prioritization of Travel & Tourism
- Pillar 7: International Openness
- Pillar 8: Price Competitiveness
- Pillar 9: Environmental Sustainability
- SUBINDEX C: INFRASTRUCTURE
- Pillar 10: Air Transport Infrastructure
- Pillar 11: Ground and Port Infrastructure
- Pillar 12: Tourist Service Infrastructure
- SUBINDEX D: NATURAL AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
- Pillar 13: Natural Resources
- Pillar 14: Cultural Resources and Business Travel
- 14 pillars comprised of 90 indicators.
- Spain ranked number 1
- France, Germany, Japan, US complete top five
- UK 6th, Australia7th, Italy 8th, Canada 9th , Switzerland 10th
- Asia Pacific is one of fastest growing T & T regions.
- Japan most competitive T & T economy.
- China largest T & economy, 13th most competitive globally
- Pakistan ranked 121; is least competitive country in South Asia.
- Pakistan ranked 134 in favourable safety and security conditions.
- SUBINDEX A: ENABLING ENVIRONMENT
- Air infrastructure= 33
- Ground and port infrastructure= 28
- International openness= 51
- Natural resources= 14
- Cultural resources= 8
- Price competitiveness= 13
- Business environment= 89th to 39th
- Overall T & T policy= 79th to 69th
- Infrastructure= 58th to 55th
- ICT readiness= 112th to 105th
- Enabling Environment= 98
- Tourist service infrastructure= 109
- Environment sustainability= 128th
Global Travel and Tourism Sector:
- 2018: Generated 10.4% of all global economic activity
- 2018: Recorded 3.9% growth
- Contributed record $8.8 trillion and 319 million jobs worldwide
- Accounts for one in five of new jobs created worldwide
- Estimated to contribute 100 million jobs globally in ten years.
India’s Tourism Industry:
- Currently India is the seventh largest tourism industry.
- 29 states, 4000 cities, rich history, incredible diversity
- India all set to become third largest in next 10 years
- Tourism contribution to economy to double
- Expected to add 5.23 crore jobs in 2028
- India doing well in medical tourism, business tourism, ecological tourism, pilgrimage tourism, historical tourism, adventure tourism.
Steps to promote Tourism:
- Atithi Devo Bhavah Campaign
- Incredible India Campaign
- Swadesh Darshan Scheme
- Reforms in Visa process
- Online option of applying for tourist visa
- E-visa facility available to citizens of 163 countries
- India ranks 8th among 100 countries on most valuable nation brands list
Source: click here