Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution System objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security; Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maan Dhan Yojana
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: The scheme- features, significance, need and potential?
Context: PM Modi to launch Kisan Man Dhan Yojana.
Aim: To improve the life of small and marginal farmers of the country.
Salient features of the scheme:
- The scheme is voluntary and contributory for farmers in the entry age group of 18 to 40 years.
- A monthly pension of Rs. 3000/– will be provided to them on attaining the age of 60 years. The spouse is also eligible to get a separate pension of Rs.3000/- upon making separate contributions to the Fund.
- Initial contribution: The farmers will have to make a monthly contribution of Rs.55 to Rs.200, depending on their age of entry, in the Pension Fund till they reach the retirement date i.e. the age of 60 years.
- The Central Government will also make an equal contributionof the same amount in the pension fund.
- The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) shall be the Pension Fund Managerand responsible for Pension pay out.
- If there is no spouse, then total contribution along with interest will be paid to the nominee.
- If the farmer dies after the retirement date, the spouse will receive 50% of the pension as Family Pension.
- After the death of both the farmer and the spouse, the accumulated corpus shall be credited back to the Pension Fund.
- The beneficiaries may opt voluntarily to exit the Scheme after a minimum period of 5 years of regular contributions.
- In case of default in making regular contributions, the beneficiaries are allowed to regularize the contributions by paying the outstanding dues along with prescribed interest.
Need for and Significance of the scheme:
It is expected that at least 10 crore labourers and workers in the unorganised sector will avail the benefit of the scheme within next five years making it one of the largest pension schemes of the world.