- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
Teachers’ Day 2019
What to study?
For Prelims and mains: Teachers Day Significance and about Radhakrishnan and his key contributions.
Context: Teacher’s Day is observed annually on September 5, as Dr. Radhakrishnan was born on September 5, 1888.
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan was India’s first Vice President and second President.
- His book, ‘The Philosophy of Rabindranath Tagore’ attracted global attention to Indian philosophy.
- His philosophy was grounded in Advaita Vedanta. He defended Hinduism against “uninformed Western criticism” and played a major role in the formation of contemporary Hindu identity.
- He earned the reputation of being the bridge-builder between India and the West.
- He was one of the founders of Helpage India, a renowned NGO for elderly underprivileged in India.
- He was awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, in 1954.
- He was awarded several other distinguished awards as well such as a knighthood in 1931 and honorary membership of the British Royal Order of Merit in 1963.