Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
South-South and Triangular Cooperation
What to study?
For prelims and mains: South- South and triangular cooperation- meaning, need and significance.
Context: An international dialogue on South-South and Triangular Cooperation was recently held in New Delhi.
About South-South and Triangular Cooperation:
South-South cooperation is a broad framework of collaboration among countries of the South in the political, economic, social, cultural, environmental and technical domains.
Involving two or more developing countries, it can take place on a bilateral, regional, intraregional or interregional basis.
Developing countries share knowledge, skills, expertise and resources to meet their development goals through concerted efforts.
It is collaboration in which traditional donor countries and multilateral organizations facilitate South-South initiatives through the provision of funding, training, management and technological systems as well as other forms of support.
Objectives of South-South Cooperation are to:
- foster the self-reliance of developing countries by enhancing their creative capacity to find solutions to their development problems in keeping with their own aspirations, values and specific needs;
- create and strengthen existing technological capacities in the developing countries in order to improve the effectiveness with which such capacities are used;
- increase and improve communications among developing countries, leading to a greater awareness of common problems and wider access to available knowledge and experience as well as the creation of new knowledge in tackling development problems;
- recognize and respond to the problems and requirements of the least developed countries, landlocked developing countries, small island developing States and the countries most seriously affected by, for example, natural disasters and other crises; and
- enable developing countries to achieve a greater degree of participation in international economic activities and to expand international cooperation for development.