Topic: Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
6) Discuss the concept of emotional intelligence and suggest the various applications of emotional intelligence. (250 words)
Ethics by Lexicon publications
Why this question:
The question is straight forward and aims to discuss the concept of emotional intelligence and its application.
Key demand of the question:
Explain in detail the concept and in what way it can be applied in an individual’s life.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Define Emotional intelligence.
Explain the following points –
- The term was coined by two researchers – Peter Salovey and John Mayer in 1990 but got popular in 1996 from Dan Goleman’s book ‘Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ’.
- Emotional intelligence refers to ‘the ability to identify one’s own emotions and those of others, harness and apply them to tasks, and to regulate and manage them’.
- Emotional Quotient (EQ) is a measure of one’s EI i.e. through a standardized test, one’s awareness of emotions in relation to self and others is known.
- Explain the applicability of EI in individual’s life, in administration, civil services etc. using suitable examples.
Conclude by suggesting what needs to be done to ensure EI and how to practice the same.