- Awareness in technology and development of new technology.
Iron ion battery
What to study?
For prelims and mains: Key features of Iron Ion battery, significance and advantages over other traditional batteries.
Context: IIT Madras has fabricated a rechargeable iron ion battery and registered initial success.
- The rechargeable iron ion battery has been designed using mild steel as the anode.
- The iron ion battery is cost-effective and the amount of energy that can be stored in the battery is also high.
- While lithium ions are the charge carriers in lithium ion battery, the Fe2+ ions perform that function in the case of iron ion battery.
- When fabricated under controlled conditions, the amount of energy that can be drawn from the iron ion battery is 220 Wh per kg, which is 55-60% of lithium ion battery’s performance.
- In iron ion battery, vanadium pentoxide is used as the cathode. Vanadium pentoxide was chosen as it has a layered structure with very large spacing between the layers.
- The large inter-layer spacing in vanadium pentoxide allows iron ions to easily move in and bind to the interlayers of the cathode and also easily get detached and move back to the anode.
Benefits of iron over Lithium:
- Iron has favourable physico-chemical properties like lithium.
- The redox potential of iron ion is higher than lithium ion and the radius of the Fe2+ ion is nearly the same as that of the lithium ion.
- Iron is more stable during the charging process and therefore prevents short-circuiting of the batteries. This, when compared with the popular lithium metal-based batteries helps cut down the cost and make it safer to handle.
Sources: the Hindu.