- e-technology in the aid of farmers.
Govt. to launch ‘Uber for tractors’ app to aid farmers
What to study?
For prelims and mains: Key features, the need for and significance of the app.
Context: India’s agriculture ministry has developed a farm equipment rental app-‘Über for tractors’- for Indian farmers.
- The app lets farmers hire tractors, rotavator and other farm related machinery on rent for with flexible tenures.
- The app would enable farmers to have affordable access to cutting-edge technology at their doorsteps.
- The app seeks to efficiently connect farmers with custom hiring centres CHCs, just like Uber connects passangers to cabs.
- The app also includes a rating system wherein the feedback from both the CHC and the farmers, allowing customers to make informed decisions.
- The app will also create an invaluable database for policy-makers, who can track the use and cost of equipment.
The system would also help to track the usage of new technology that the government wants to promote, such as the Happy Seeder that aims to prevent stubble burning that causes air pollution, or solar dryers that can help farmers process and preserve their produce.
Sources: the Hindu.