- Women related issues.
- Schemes for the protection of vulnerable sections of the society.
In news- Nirbhaya fund
What to study?
For Prelims: About the fund, its objectives and its administration.
For Mains: Significance of the fund and issues related to its utilization.
Context: A total of 59 proposals/schemes have been received from various Ministries and State Governments and UT Administrations under Nirbhaya Fund during the last three years 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 onwards.
- Till date, 30 projects/ schemes have been appraised and recommended by the Empowered Committee of officers for funding under Nirbhaya Fund.
About Nirbhaya fund:
- The Rs 1,000 crore Nirbhaya Fund was announced in Union Budget 2013.
- The corpus was to be utilised for upholding safety and dignity of women.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development apart from several other concerned ministries were authorised to work out details of structure, scope and application of this fund.
- The Fund is administered by Department of Economic Affairs of the finance ministry.
Issues with Nirbhaya Fund:
The government has been accused of keeping Nirbhaya Fund unutilised. With rise in cases of sexual harassment and crimes against women there is a crying need for implementation of such funds.
Government should improve coordination between the ministries for speedier implementation of projects under the schemes of this nature. Delay caused by lengthy inert-ministerial coordination must not be allowed to compromise women’s safety. The Government and legislators must act proactively on delivering equality and security to women.