Topic: Land reforms in India.
4) What are the major land reforms of India? Why are land reforms needed in Indian economy? Discuss.(250 words)
Indian economy by Dutta and Sundaram
Why this question:
The question seeks to examine the major land reforms in India and their need for the economy.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the major land reforms in India and their what are their contributions to the Indian economy.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Describe briefly the beginning of land reforms in India.
- First explain what you understand by land reforms – Land reforms in India usually refer to redistribution of land from the rich to the poor. Land reforms are often connected with re-distribution of agricultural land and hence it is related to agrarian reforms too.
- Start with a narration of Background and History of Land Reforms in India.
- Explain the major land reforms that took place in India.
- Its role in Indian economy – Equity – now the majority of land in India is enjoyed by a minority of landlords. The inverse relationship between land size and efficiency – the smaller the land, better will be the productivity and efficiency. Owner-cultivation is more efficient than share-cropping etc.
- Then discuss the relevant challenges that need focus.
Conclude with way forward.