- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
International Seed Testing Association (ISTA)
What to study?
For prelims and mains: ISTA- composition, objectives, roles, functions and significance.
Context: The International Seed Testing Association (ISTA) is to hold its 32nd Congress in Hyderabad.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare and the Telangana government are jointly hosting the conference, which will be attended by stakeholders from across the globe.
- Founded in 1924, with the aim to develop and publish standard procedures in the field of seed testing, ISTA is inextricably linked with the history of seed testing.
- It is an association of laboratories which are authorised to check on the marketability of seed as defined in various countries’ laws.
- Its duties include defining methods to determine the ability to germinate, the vigour of seed, and the content of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in seed.
- The test results, as certified by ISTA member laboratories, are accepted by the trading partners of the World Trade Organization (WTO) in international seed traffic.
- The North American equivalent of the ISTA is the Association of Official Seed Analysts(AOSA).
Sources: the Hindu.