- Issues related to education.
World Best Universities Ranking
What to study?
For Prelims: QS World University Rankings and India’s top performers.
For Mains: Reforms in higher education.
Context: QS World University Rankings for 2020 has been released.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is at the top of the global list for the eighth consecutive year.
QS World University Rankings is an annual publication of university rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS).
QS evaluates universities and institutions on parameters such as academic and employer reputation, faculty-student ratio, citations per faculty and international students and faculty on campuses.
Top institutions from India:
- IIT-Bombay has been ranked India’s best university for the second year in a row.
- Two other Indian universities — IIT Delhi (182) and the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru (184) — have also cracked the top 200.
- There are a total of 23 Indian institutions in the top 1,000. While most are government-funded universities, five are privately funded.
- The Manipal Academy of Higher Education, which falls within the 701-750 ranking band, is the top private university in the country. The O.P. Jindal Global University, founded in 2009, is the only new entrant in the list this year, ranking in the 751-800 band.
- Indian science and technology institutions funded by the government scored high in terms of citations per faculty, with the IISc, Bengaluru, achieving a perfect 100 in that indicator.
- For private institutions on the list, on the other hand, it was other indicators such as teacher-student ratio, and international faculty and student populations that propelled them to the top.
Sources: Indian Express.