Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia (ReCAAP):
Context: Indian Coast Guard (ICG) will be co-hosting 12th Capacity Building workshop with Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia (ReCAAP) Information Sharing Centre (ISC).
- The ReCAAP is the first regional Government-to-Government agreement to deal with piracy and armed robbery at sea in Asia.
- Presently 20 countries are members of ReCAAP. India played an active role in the setting up and functioning of ReCAAPISC along with Japan and Singapore.
- Union Government has designated ICG as the focal point within India for ReCAAP.
- Information sharing, capacity building and mutual legal assistance are the three pillars of co-operation under the ReCAAP agreement.
- An ISC has been established at Singapore to collate and disseminate the information among the contracting parties and the maritime community.