Topic :Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
5) What do you understand by desertification? List down its causes. Also evaluate the role played by United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) so far in addressing the concerns posed by desertification world across.(250 words)
Why this question:
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought was observed on June 17, 2019 with the theme “Let’s grow the future together”. Thus, it is important for us to evaluate the theme.
Key demand of the question:
One has to discuss in detail the concept of Desertification, causes and the concerns posed by it and then evaluate the role played by UNCCD in addressing these concerns so far.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief introduction on the background of the question.
Discussion should include the following:
- Desertification according to United Nations: Desertification is the degradation of land in arid, semi-arid and dry sub-humid areas. Desertification does not refer to the expansion of existing deserts.
- Causes: It is caused primarily by human activities and climatic variations. It occurs because dryland ecosystems, which cover over one third of the world ‘s land area, are extremely vulnerable to overexploitation and inappropriate land use.
- Global scenario: According to United Nations, every year, the world loses 24 billion tons of fertile soil and dryland degradation reduces national domestic product in developing countries by up to 8 % annually.
- Goal 15 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development states our resolve to halt and reverse land degradation.
- Suggest solutions – as to what needs to be done?
Conclude with way forward.