Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
2) What is Acute encephalitis syndrome? Discuss the causative agents, do you think authorities failed at several levels in preventing deaths due to encephalopathy in Bihar? Suggest what needs to be done? (250 words)
Why this question:
Several children have died in the Muzaffarpur district of north Bihar, due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES). The AES cases in Muzaffarpur, Bihar and adjoining litchi producing districts have been observed mostly from April to June, particularly in children who are undernourished with a history of visiting litchi orchards.
Key demand of the question:
The article discusses in detail the policy lacunae in focusing upon the health crisis. One has to analyse the causes and the consequences of the such policy irregularities.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief introduction on the background of the question.
Discussion should include the following:
- First define what is acute encephalitis syndrome – It is a severe case of encephalitis transmitted by mosquitoes and is characterized by high fever and inflammation of the brain.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) in 2006, coined the term AES to signify a group of diseases which seem similar to one another but are difficult to differentiate in the chaotic environment of an outbreak.
- The disease most commonly affects children and young adults and can lead to considerable morbidity and mortality.
- Discuss the government initiatives in this direction, what were the lacunae in the policy framework? Etc.
- Suggest what needs to be done?
Conclude by reasserting the importance of strong policy framework which is multi -pronged as well as focused.