Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora. Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
5) Discuss the political and economic significance of Strait of Hormuz – the world’s most important oil artery.(250 words)
Why this question:
Recently series of explosions damaged two tankers south of the Strait of Hormuz. Making it important for us to analyse the significance of Strait of Hormuz.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the political and economic significance of Strait of Hormuz.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines discuss the situation.
In brief discuss the following aspects –
- The Strait of Hormuz lies between Oman and Iran. It links the Gulf north of it with the Gulf of Oman to the south and the Arabian Sea beyond. It is 33 km wide at its narrowest point, with the shipping lane just three km wide in either direction.
- Why is the strait important?
- What are the associated political tensions around it?
- Narrate the major incidents.
- Discuss the significance.
Conclude with what more needs to be done.