Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
4) Do you think Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act violates international human rights standards on freedom of association? Critically examine. (250 words)
Why this question:
Recently Union Home Ministry has warned of taking penal action against NGOs who have changed office bearers without taking its approval.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in detail FCRA, and the recent actions taken in this direction by the govt.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
In a few introductory lines state what is FCRA – The Foreign Contribution Regulations Act (FCRA) is used to regulate foreign contribution (especially monetary donation) provided by certain individuals or associations to NGOs and others within India.
Answers must discuss the following aspects –
- What are the concerns associated with the FCRA?
- Explain the recent steps taken by the govt. – In a notification, Union Home Ministry said, some incidents have come to light that some NGOs, having registered under Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA), have changed their office bearers without its approval.
- The Home Ministry said, replacement of key functionaries of FCRA registered organizations without prior permission is a violation of the law.
- The Ministry has asked the NGOs to submit applications for addition or deletion or any change of details about office bearers within one month from the date of issue of notice.
- Conclude with what needs to be done to overcome such concerns and challenges.
Conclude with way forward.