Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
3) What are the major reforms needed in Food Corporation of India to ensure food security in India? Do you think the recommendations of the Shanta Kumar Committee take us in that direction? (250 words)
Why this question:
Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution laid down the future roadmap for Food Corporation of India (FCI) recently, thus it is essential for us to analyse the major reforms needed in Food Corporation of India to ensure food security in India.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must analyse the major reforms needed in Food Corporation of India to ensure food security in India along with significance of Shanta Kumar committee.
Structure of the answer:
In a few lines state some the role played by FCI.
The answer must discuss the following:
Discuss the Key highlights of the roadmap:
- Primacy will be given to ensuring that the functioning of FCI is streamlined and fast paced as per recommendations of the Shanta Kumar Committee.
- 100 lakh ton silo storage capacity will be created in the country. For this, RITES has been assigned the task of changing the silo model and they will give their recommendations in 90 days to FCI.
- At present, there are 3 types of labourers in FCI namely Departmental, Daily Payment System (DPS) and No work no pay workers along with contractual labour. Government of India is deliberating to finish the 3 different arrangements and bring all workers of FCI under a single, uniform system which will bring stability of tenure and secured wages for all.
- To improve the usage of Information Technology in FCI, a Human Resource Management System (HRMS) will be implemented, the work for which will begin in August, 2019 and will be completed by August 2020. This move will benefit 22,000 employees in 196 offices of FCI.
Then move on to explaining the significance of recommendations made by Shanta Kumar committee.
Conclude with way forward.