6) Agrarian distress is majorly a result of low farm prices and low agricultural productivity. Suggest measures which could help in realizing the goal of doubling farmers’ incomes by 2022. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is straightforward and is about discussing extent of agriculture distress.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the key factors causing the Agrarian distress, and about the demands of urgent policy attention.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines discuss the current Agrarian distress facing India.
In brief discuss –
- The rising demand for farm loan waivers across states show the extent of agriculture distress.
- This agrarian distress demands urgent policy attention on the following lines:
- raise productivity
- reduce costs of cultivation by providing quality inputs at subsidised rates
- provide remunerative prices following the recommendations of the Swaminathan Commission
- ensure assured procurement of output
- expand access to institutional credit
- enhance public investment for infrastructural development
- institute effective crop insurance systems
- establish affordable scientific storage facilities and agro-processing industries for value addition etc.
- Suggest what should be the way forward.
Conclude with what more needs to be done.