Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
4) “Though neighbourhood first remains India’s foreign policy priority, but the emphasis has shifted from SAARC to BIMSTEC”. Analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
As Prime Minister Narendra Modi begins his second innings in diplomacy this week with a visit to Maldives and Sri Lanka, his foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar has chosen Bhutan as his first foreign destination.
Thus it is important for us to evaluate the shift in India’s neighborhood policy.
Key demands of the question:
Answer is about discussing the changing foreign policy scenario of India.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines define the current foreign policy of India.
- Discuss the core points of focus of Indian foreign policy.
- Trace the change in trends of India’s foreign policy in the past five years.
- How and why is there a shift?
- India and its neighborhood scenario.
- India – SAARC, India- BIMSTC relations.
- Conclude with what is the significance of such a shift in the policy, India’s role.
Conclude with way forward.