Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora
3) Write a note on New START treaty. What are its key features? Discuss its significance. (250 words)
Why this question:
Recently Russian President Vladimir Putin has said Russia was prepared to drop New START with the US as Trump administration has showed no genuine interest in conducting talks on extending the treaty.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects us to discuss in detail what is New START treaty, its key features and significance.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief on New START Treaty – The New START caps the number of nuclear warheads well below Cold War limits.
- First trace the history of coming of the treaty – The treaty was signed by US President Barack Obama and Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev in Prague in 2010.
- New START replaced the 1991 START I treaty, which expired December 2009, and superseded the 2002 Strategic Offensive Reductions Treaty (SORT), which terminated when New START entered into force.
- Both Russia and the United States announced that they met New START limitations by Feb. 5, 2018.
- New START expires in 2021.
Conclude with way significance.