Topic: Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive.
3) Discuss the purpose of a cabinet committee while explaining the types and their composition. Why are cabinet committees important in dealing with the big issues of the day and the government’s overall strategy?(250 words)
Why this question:
The Government recently reconstituted eight key cabinet committees under the Transaction of Business Rules.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss in detail purpose of a cabinet committee while explaining the types and their composition.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few lines explain what are cabinet committees, The Cabinet Committee are organizations which are instrumental in reducing the workload of the Cabinet. These committees are extra-constitutional in nature and are nowhere mentioned in the Constitution.
The answer must discuss the following:
- Types and Composition of Cabinet Committees:
- Standing Cabinet Committee: These are permanent in nature with a specific job. The Cabinet Ministers are called its ‘members’ while the people without the rank of Cabinet Committee are called ‘special invitees’.
- Ad-hoc Cabinet Committee: These are temporary in nature and are formed time to time to deal with specific tasks.
- Composition: The composition of a Cabinet Committee varies from 3 to 8 people. Even Ministers who are not the part of the Cabinet can be added to a Cabinet Committee. Usually, each cabinet committee has at least one Cabinet Minister. The members of the Cabinet Committee can be from both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
- Suggest significance of the committees.
Conclude by reasserting significance of these committees.