Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health,
3) “Food-borne diseases is an increasing threat to human health which impede socio-economic development by straining health care systems and harming national economies, tourism and trade”. Critically analyse the statement.(250 words)
Why this question:
According to World Health Organization (WHO), an estimated 600 million cases of food-borne diseases occur annually around the world.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in detail the current scenario of food borne diseases, analyse the impact of the same human health.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
In a few introductory lines bring out the significant points of the WHO findings.
Answers must discuss the following aspects:
- Key findings in the report –
- An estimated 600 million cases of food-borne diseases occur annually around the world. This translates into one in 10 people falling ill after eating contaminated food.
- Children under 5 years of age carry 40% of the food-borne disease burden with 1,25,000 deaths every year.
- Discuss in detail the impact of the above.
- What needs to be done? What are the recommendations?
Conclude with way forward that complying with global food standards, establishing effective regulatory food control systems, applying good agriculture practices and building capacities of consumers to make healthy food choices are some ways to ensure food safety.