7) What do you understand by ethical egoism? How does it influence one’s ethical behaviour? Discuss. (250 words)
Ethics by lexicon
Why this question:
The question is about discussing the concept of ethical egoism. discuss its pros and cons, explain how it impacts ones ethical behaviour.
Key demand of the question:
Answer should discuss concept of ethical egoism and its effect on one’s ethical behaviour.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what is ethical egoism.
One must cover the following aspects in the answer –
- Ethical egoism is the view that people should in fact act according to their self-interest. Ethical egoists argue that people do not often pursue their self-interest, but that they should in fact do so. Acting in self-interest means that we should do what maximizes our happiness and minimizes our unhappiness.
- This is a form of hedonism (derived from Greek word “hedon” which means happiness or pleasure); a doctrine which proposes that one should maximize one’s happiness and minimize one’s unhappiness.
- Then move on to discuss its positives and negatives.
- Explain how it influences one’s ethical behaviour.
Conclude with significance.