Topic: Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
2) Discuss How Representation of People’s Act, 1951 is different from the provisions related to elections in Constitution of India?(250 words)
Indian Polity by Lakshmikanth
Why this question:
Question is straightforward and is about comparing the constitutional provisions and Representation of People’s Act, 1951.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must provide for a detailed comparison of Representation of People’s Act, 1951 and the available constitutional provisions.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines elections in India.
Answers must discuss the – Part XV of Indian Constitution which is Elections. Along with it explain constitutional provisions.
- The Representation of People Act 1950, which provides for allocation of seats and delimitation of constituencies of the Parliament and state legislature, officers related to conduct of elections, preparation of electoral rolls and manner of filling seats in the Council of States allotted to Union Territories.
- The Representation of People Act, 1951, which provides for the conduct of elections of the Houses of Parliament and to the House or Houses of the Legislature of each State, the qualifications and disqualifications for membership of those Houses, the corrupt practices and other offences at or in connection with such elections and the decision of doubts and disputes arising out of or in connection with such elections.
- Delimitation Commission Act of 1952, which provides for the readjustment of seats, delimitation and reservation of territorial constituencies and other related matters.
- The Presidential and Vice-Presidential Election Act 1952, which provides for the conduct of Presidential and Vice- Presidential election and mechanism for the settlement of any dispute arising out of such elections.
Conclude with way forward.