Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
3) Discuss the Role and significance of UNSC, is there a need to reform UNSC? why India should be given permanent membership? Comment.(250 words)
Why this question:
Recently Vice President calls for renewed efforts for India to gain permanent membership of the UN Security Council.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the role and significance of UNSC, need for UNSC reforms, why India should be given permanent membership.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly explain the mandate of UN security council in general.
Body of the answer should discuss the following aspects:
- What is UN security council?
- Discuss its composition, mandate and objectives.
- What are the current proposed reforms?
- What are India’s demands?
- Why India should be given a permanent seat in the council? Discuss pros and cons.
Conclude with way forward.