Topic: Salient features of world’s physical geography.
1) What do you understand by Anthropocene epoch? Discuss its significance while elucidating some of the geological markers used in declaring Anthropocene epoch.(250 words)
Why this question:
A 34-member panel of the Anthropocene Working Group (AWG) has voted 29-4 in favor of designating a new geological epoch — the Anthropocene.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must analyse what is Anthropocene age, what is its significance and what are geological markers and evidences of the same in discussing Anthropocene epoch.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Elucidate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines define Anthropocene age.
The body of the answer has to capture the following aspects:
- Anthropocene Working Group (AWG) voted in favor of designating a new geological epoch i.e, the Anthropocene.
- The term ‘Anthropocene’ was coined in 2000 by Nobel Laureate Paul Crutzen and Eugene Stoermer to denote the present geological time interval in which human activity has profoundly altered many conditions and processes on Earth.
- The word combines the root “anthro”, meaning “human” with the root “cene”, the standard suffix for “epoch” in geologic time.
- The Anthropocene is distinguished as a new period either after or within the Holocene, the current epoch, which began approximately 10,000 years ago (about 8000 BC) with the end of the last glacial period.
- Then discuss what are geological markers – Some of the geological markers used in declaring Anthropocene epoch.
Conclude with significance of the same.