Topic: Salient features of Indian Society, social issues.
1) Evaluate the role played by Conditional Cash Transfer schemes in successfully curbing child marriages and addressing gender inequality.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article provides for a detailed analysis of interlinkages between conditional cash transfers and their role played in addressing gender inequality with special focus on how they curb child marriages.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must briefly discuss what are conditional cash transfers, their key role in alleviating poverty.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what are conditional cash transfer schemes.
The answer must explain the following aspects:
- In what way conditional cash transfers address poverty and other social issues?
- Problems and causes of child marriage – The reasons for child marriage, a social problem, range from usual factors of poverty, illiteracy and age-old cultural norms to apprehensions about early sexual activity (of adolescent girl in particular), elopement and marriage ‘outside the caste’. For some, early marriage is the resolution of the ‘problem of modernity and mobility’ of young women.
- Explain in what way conditional cash transfers can empower women?
- Discuss case studies of – Kalyan Lakshmi and Shaadi Mubarak schemes etc.
- Explain what are the consequences of it on the society.
Conclude with what more is needed to be done to overcome such a social issue.