Topic: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
6) “The fear of AI and autonomous machines as a threat to humanity is misguided.” Critically analyse the statement with respect to the Indian Scenario.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article captures effects of digitization on Jobs, it critically analyses whether Artificial intelligence and autonomous machines create or take away Jobs of humans.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must debate about the consequences of AI and machines on current Jobs and employment scenario.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines quote some relevant facts to highlight the mixed effect of AI and machines on jobs and employments as of now.
- First discuss how artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics are being seen to replace human beings in all kinds of jobs.
- Discuss the past Industrial revolutions; how they only improved the Jobs and never failed employment scenario in terms of mass jobs, better technology etc.
- The more likely scenario is humans and robots working in harmony. AI expands the potential of humans. Humans will learn value-added tasks, while self-learning robots pick up new skills on their own.
- Digitalization will transform work with people having higher qualification and competence profiles but won’t replace it: people will always be indispensable. Digitalization will create more jobs than it takes away.
- Have a section discussing Indian scenario – what needs to be done?
- Conclude with way forward.
Conclude with importance of a balance between the two.