Topic :Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
5) What is gene editing, should it be allowed? Give your opinion while you weigh the associated pros and cons.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is to evaluate the pros and cons of the concept of gene editing.
Demand of the question:
The answer must explain the concept of gene editing and evaluate the ethical angle involved, one must assess the merits and demerits of the same.
Structure of the answer:
The answer to the question must have the following parts:
- Gene editing or genome editing, involves the insertion, deletion, or replacement of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) in a gene.
- Discuss the pros and cons; pros – use in cure of cancer, genetic diseases, drug research, Agriculture- pest resilient crops etc.
- What are the disadvantages associated? – ethical aspect, scope to be used in bio weapons, unknown diseases etc.
- Then move on to discuss whether it should be allowed? Opine that should be encouraged to enhance the advancements in field of science and improve the standard of living of people etc.
Conclude with what should be the way ahead.