Topic: Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
4) What do you understand by Biotherapeutic medicines? Elaborate on the need for guidelines to regulate the accessibility and affordability of this new class of medicines. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail upon the need for revision of guidelines for Biotherapeutic medicines.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss in detail what are Biotherapeutic medicines, why is there a need to revise the guidelines for the same and what needs to be done.
Elaborate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what are Biotherapeutic medicines.
- Biotherapeutic medicines, also known as biologics, are produced through biological processes and differ from the older generation small-molecule medicines that are derived through chemical synthesis.
- What are the issues surrounding it? – pricing, manufacturing, access, affordability, regulations etc.
- Discuss what needs to be done?
- Explain the Indian industry scenario.
Conclude with what should be the way forward.