- Awareness in space.
What to study?
For prelims and mains: key features, objectives and significance of the mission.
Context: ISRO successfully launched radar imaging satellite RISAT-2B on-board PSLV-C46 from Sriharikota.
- RISAT-2B was placed into an orbit of 555 km with an inclination of 37 degree to the equator.
- This is the fourth flight unit of the RISAT programme and it would be used for reconnaissance, strategic surveillance and disaster management.
- It has been developed for military and general surveillance purposes. The data will also be used in fields of agriculture, forestry and disaster management support.
- RISAT-2B is equipped with a synthetic aperture radar that can take pictures of the earth during day and night, and also under cloudy conditions.
- With this advanced earth observation satellite, ISRO has introduced a complex new technology. That is a 3.6 metre unfurlable radial rib antenna. This is also going to be the technology of the future.
- RISAT-2B is going to RISAT-2, which was placed in the orbit in 2009. RISAT-2 was RISAT-1’s replacement, a microwave remote sensing satellite that was launched in 2012. RISAT-2 was actively used India to monitor activities in camps across the border in Pakistan to thwart infiltration bids by terrorists.