- Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
What to study?
For prelims and mains: mohalla clinics- success, model and potential.
Context: Delhi’s Mohalla clinic initiative is set to be extended to several states, with Telangana, Karnataka, Jharkhand and J&K expressing interest in adopting the flagship project.
About Mohalla clinics:
- Started in 2015, they are primary health centres in New Delhi, that offer a basic package of essential health services including medicines, diagnostics, and consultation free of cost.
- Mohalla in Hindi means neighborhood or community.
- These clinics serve as the first point of contact for the population, offer timely services, and reduce the load of referrals to secondary and tertiary health facilities in the state.
- Every such clinic has a doctor, a technician for uploading patients’ Aadhaar card details and a lab assistant for collecting blood samples and disbursing medicines.
- The clinics run from 8 am to 2 pm and doctors are paid on the basis of the number of patients they treat — each doctor gets Rs 30 per patient per day.
- Each clinic is ideally supposed to cater to a 5-km radius with a population of 10,000-15,000.
Sources: The Hindu.