Topic: conscience as sources of ethical guidance
7) What do you understand by conscience? Do you think Conscience is driven by objective morality? Give your opinion with suitable justifications.(250 words)
Ethics by Lexicon publications
Why this question:
The question is based on the concept of conscience and its significance, one must analyse whether it is driven by objective morality or not.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must debate about relationship of morality and conscience and how conscience is not driven by objective morality , as morality is subjective when it comes to evaluating conscience.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what you understand by conscience.
- Conscience is the part of your mind that tells you whether what you are doing is morally right or wrong. In short, conscience is a term which we use to denote the inner mind.
- Bring out the different approaches of philosphers on the concept of conscience. Explain that Conscience is a faculty of the mind that motivates us to act morally—or at least according to our most deeply held values.
- Thus conscience is a not a objective morality, since it is obvious that two people’s consciences or religions can dictate opposing moralities—such as pro-choice and pro-life in abortion debate
- Conscience is necessary trait of character for public functionaries for ensuring ethical action in the spheres where there are no legal obligation upon them to act in a particular way.
Conclude with importance.