Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
3) Indian Ocean is an “ocean of economic opportunities” for India. Comment. (250 words)
Why this question:
The Indian Ocean is a valuable source of fishing and mineral resources. The Indian Ocean basin is of particular importance for India, as the region’s most populous country and geopolitical keystone. Thus it is important for us to examine its significance for India.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate the importance Indian ocean holds for our country – economically and geopolitically.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief background, narrating the significance of Indian ocean.
Discussion should include the following aspects –
- Quote some facts related to the Indian ocean, asserting its proximity to India vis-à-vis its high importance for the country. The Indian Ocean covers at least one fifth of the world’s total ocean area.
- It is bounded by Africa and the Arabian Peninsula (known as the western Indian Ocean), India’s coastal waters (the central Indian Ocean), and the Bay of Bengal near Myanmar and Indonesia (the eastern Indian Ocean).
- The Indian Ocean matters today, arguably more than ever. It is a major conduit for international trade, especially energy.
- Its littoral is vast, densely populated, and comprised of some of the world’s fastest growing regions.
- The Ocean is also a valuable source of fishing and mineral resources. The Indian Ocean basin is of particular importance for India, as the region’s most populous country and geopolitical keystone.
- Narrate the significance of the region.
Conclude with way forward signifying importance of IOR.