Topic: Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive, Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
2) What is a coalition government what is its impact on Indian politics? Do you agree Coalitions allow a diversity of voices to be heard, keep fundamentalism at bay? Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses how an absolute majority in favor of a political party has the tendency to threaten democratic values and in what way Coalitions allow a diversity of voices to be heard, keep fundamentalism at bay.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must briefly discuss the role of coalition politics in the present context. Discuss in detail the pros and cons of such a tool of democracy.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain the background/context of the question.
The body of the answer has to capture the following aspects:
- What is coalition politics in India? – In a Parliamentary democracy, coalitions arise mainly as a result of political compulsion. conflicts. It may also be formed due to emergency. The policies that are adopted by the coalition government are made by the coalescing parties and merely finalized by the leader of the coalition.
- What are the features of coalition government?
- Examine is India Is Set to Return to Coalition Politics?
- Then move on to evaluate the merits and demerits of the Coalition govt.
- Take cues from the article to justify the significance of such a democratic tool.
Conclude with way forward.