Topic: ethical concerns and dilemmas
8) On one hand there are people who think the law should let women decide whether to have abortions called pro-choice and on the other hand are People who are pro-life; who believe that all humans, including the unborn, have a right to life. What in your view point is ethical and justified? Is the belief that abortion is wrong and that it is murder correct? Critically analyse and give your opinion with suitable justifications.(250 words)
Why this question:
Recently in the United States, the Alabama Senate has passed a bill banning abortion. The legislation bans any termination of pregnancy and punishing doctors who perform the procedure with life in prison. The state Senate yesterday approved the law by 25 votes to six, rejecting exemptions for cases of rape or incest.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must debate about the ethical angle involved in the above decision on abortion, the answer must argue the merits and demerits associated with such a judgement.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain the context of the question.
- Highlight the current scenario – discuss the Alabama human life protection act.
- Salient features of the bill –
- It places a near-total ban on the termination of pregnancy — even in cases of rape and incest.
- Abortions would only be legal if the life of the mother is in danger or the fetus has a fatal condition.
- Performing an abortion is a crime that could land doctors who perform it in prison for 10 to 99 years.
- Unlike the doctors carrying out the procedures, women who undergo abortions would not be prosecuted.
- Then move to discuss what are the ethical issues involved, debate the women rights of reproduction vs freedom to choose to live of the unborn.
Conclude with a fair and balanced opinion.