Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health. Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development.
2) Malnourishment in India is the next public health emergency that needs to be addressed immediately. Critically analyse the statement and also discuss the significance of food fortification to tackle the issue of Malnourishment. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the current scenario of malnourishment prevalent in the country. It narrates the compelling reasons for us to think of simpler and effective strategies like fortification of food staples with essential micronutrients like iron and vitamin to deal with the issues of stunting, wasting, anemia etc.
Demand of the question:
The question is about discussing the issue of Malnourishment, its prevalence in India and in what way it has become a public health emergency. One must emphasise on how fortification of food is a way forward to tackle the menace.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start with brief introduction of the current scenario in the country.
Discuss the following points in detail:
- Highlight how Malnutrition affects Indian population? – quote facts like; iron deficiency contributes to 20% of maternal deaths and is associated with nearly half of all maternal deaths in India. Malnutrition extends to the children that women with anemia give birth to. They often have low birth weight, are pre-term, and suffer from poor development and lower mental abilities. Lack of essential nutrients in the diet makes growing children weak and make them under nourished etc.
- Why has it become a public health emergency?
- Discuss why other missions to tackle malnutrition haven’t been able to succeed fully – National Food Security Act (NFSA), a free Mid-day Meal Scheme (MDM), National nutrition mission etc.
- Discuss what is Food fortification and its importance and relevance to Indian case.
- Conclude by listing governments efforts in this direction.
Conclude with way forward.