Topic: Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive.
2) “While a stable government has its own benefits, less stable governments are neither a threat to democracy”. Elucidate upon the statement with respect to prevalence of coalition politics in the country. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article captures a detailed discussion of whether multiparty rule is good or bad for India depending on the prevalent political circumstances amidst the upcoming election results.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate the role of coalition politics in relevance to Indian democracy.one has to provide for arguments weighing the benefits of majority stable government vs coalition unstable government.
Elucidate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with what you understand by stable and unstable government in a democracy.
Discussion should include the following aspects –
- Narrate a background for the question discussing the current situations of elections in India.
- Explain what is coalition government India? – A coalition government is a cabinet of a parliamentary government in which multiple political parties cooperate, reducing the dominance of any one party within that coalition.
- Discuss its impact on Indian politics? – In a Parliamentary democracy, coalitions arise mainly as a result of political compulsion. conflicts. It may also be formed due to emergency. The policies that are adopted by the coalition government are made by the coalescing parties and merely finalized by the leader of the coalition.
- Then move on to discuss how many a times coalition politics helps overcome the tyranny of the majoritarian politics and acts as a perfect check and balance mechanism.
- Take cues from the article for more points.
Conclude with way forward signifying importance of Democracy.