Topic: Disaster and disaster management.
6) Numerous types of damages are necessary to be measured for undertaking effective damage assessment during disasters. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is to evaluate the concept of damage control in disaster management.
Key demand of the question:
Analyse in detail the need for damage control in effectively mitigating disasters and managing the disasters effectively.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines highlight the recent cyclone Fani that struck the East coast necessitating us to analyse the need for disaster control and damage control.
In brief discuss –
- The example of Odisha’s successful disaster management policy is a template that other vulnerable Indian states as well as other parts of the world should closely follow.
- What are the pathways to effectively control and manage disasters? – discuss the need of understanding the types of damages- Infrastructure; Electricity and telecommunications, need for restoring damaged highways and district roads, health system etc.
- Use the Odisha cyclone as a case study to best explain the answer.
- Highlight the learnings, discuss what should be the way forward.
Conclude by reasserting that understanding disasters is of prime importance to resolve and fix them..