Topic : Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
5) “To ensure that development does not degrade lives, it is imperative to mainstream biodiversity and ecosystem concerns in policy-making”. Critically analyse(250 words)
Why this question:
A new report from UN’s Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, the most comprehensive assessment of the global ecosystems to date, has provided as an indictment of how humans have treated the Earth. The report highlights the alarming situation of ecosystem degradation.
Key demand of the question:
The answer is straightforward, one must discuss in detail the significance of mainstreaming biodiversity and ecosystem concerns in policy-making.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines , highlight the findings of the report.
Answers must discuss the following aspects :
- Provide for a narration on the present conditions of ecosystem.
- Explain why the situation is grim?
- What are the Main causes of the deterioration of the natural ecosystem? – land-use change, overfishing, pollution, climate change and population growth etc.
- Explain the need for radical transformation of the systems of consumption and production to those that are resource efficient and generate less waste through the life cycle.
- Suggest upon recent steps taken by the government in this direction.
- Provide for way forward.
Conclude by reasserting their significance of policy making that is centric to biodiversity and ecosystem conservation.