Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
3) Correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/ reliable tertiary healthcare services is the need of the hour, and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country is essential to ensure a healthy India Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question aims to evaluate the present conditions of healthcare system in India and how correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/ reliable tertiary healthcare services is the need of the hour. The question also is about discussing the significance of augmenting medical education in the country.
Key demand of the question:
The must evaluate in detail the existing healthcare system of the country and discuss the significance of bringing in regional balances in the availability and affordability of the healthcare system across the country along with significance of medical education.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief write up on current healthcare scenario of the country.
- Discussion should include the following aspects –
- Explain the challenges before the health system in India and why these challenges persist – Indian health system is besieged by inadequate infrastructure, paucity of skilled human resources, inadequate drug and medical supply, lack of preparedness, all of these further burdened by an increase in communicable, non-communicable, and vector borne diseases.
- Examine how health policy has fared in India recently?
- Explain the regional imbalances that exist in the health system and their causes as well as consequences.
- Discuss what needs to be done? – give a focused write up on aspect of medical education and the role it has to play in improving the healthcare system.
Conclude with way forward.