Topic: Government Budgeting
7) Discuss the concept of ‘Gender budgeting’ and analyse its significance in the Indian context.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is intended to evaluate the concept of Gender budgeting.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the importance of Gender Budgeting in the Indian economy, one must narrate in detail the significance of it.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines appreciate the concept of Gender- Budgeting.
- Explain – Gender Budgeting initiatives aim to integrate gender concerns into fiscal policies and administration to address disparities.
- India formally adopted gender budgeting in 2005 and since then it is listing out ‘Women specific schemes’ and ‘Pro women schemes’ in budget.
- Explain what are the challenges involved in Gender – Budgeting? –
- Women must be given adequate representation and opportunity to voice their concerns in pre-budget consultation.
- Center should encourage states to include gender budgeting in their respective budgets, it is imperative because states get 42% tax devolution.
- According to census 2011 sex ratio is 940 women per 1000 men and women literacy rate is 64%
- Women constitute only 15% highest wage earner in India.
- Global Gender Gap report ranked India 87 in terms of inequality in economy, education, health and political representation.
- Discuss how Gender budgeting plays a significant role in addressing these inequalities and empowering women to achieve equality with men in all spheres of life.
Conclude with importance of Gender budgeting and how Along with gender budgeting better implementation and planning are needed to ensure that these policies percolate right down to the last woman in the most remote parts of the country.