Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
4) Discuss the role of World customs organization in global market and analyse what are the emerging challenges that it must deal with.(250 words)
Why this question:
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), under Ministry of Finance recently organised a meeting of Regional Heads of Customs Administration of Asia Pacific Region of World Customs Organisation (WCO) in Kochi (in Kerala). India currently holds seat of Vice Chairperson of Asia Pacific region.
Demand of the question:
This question seeks to examine role of World customs organization in global market along with the challenges being faced by the world countries with respect to customs and how should WCO resolve it.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start with brief introduction on WCO.
The answer is straightforward and there is nothing much to deliberate upon. One must define the coming of World customs organization into existence, its roles, functions and responsibilities.
- As a forum for dialogue and exchange of experiences between national Customs delegates, the WCO offers its Members a range of Conventions and other international instruments, as well as technical assistance and training services.
- Besides the vital role played by the WCO in stimulating the growth of legitimate international trade, its efforts to combat fraudulent activities are also recognized internationally.
- WCO has also been responsible for administering the World Trade Organization’s Agreements on Customs Valuation, which provide a system for placing values on imported goods, and the Rules of Origin, which are used to determine the origin of a given commodity.
- Discuss the challenges that it needs to tackle with.
Conclude with way forward.