Topic: changes in critical geographical features.
1) Provide for a critical review of the physical effects of sand mining on hydraulic structures in the country. What can be done to better govern the resources of sand in the country? Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
Recently UNEP released a report, “Sand and Sustainability: Finding new solutions for environmental governance of global sand resources” highlighting the issue of Sand mining and offering solutions to the issue through governance.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must discuss the ill effects of sand mining on the hydraulic systems such as rivers, shores, sea beds etc. and what are the efforts that must be taken in the governance of these sand resources so as to overcome the issue.
Critical review – – When asked to review, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain that the mechanical removal of sand directly from the active channel of rivers, streams and seashores has become sizeable source of course and fine aggregates in India. In the last few decades, the construction Industry in India has seen a rapid augmentation resulting in rise in the demand of construction raw materials, including aggregates.
Discuss the following aspects in the answer:
- What are the resources of sand available in the country? How is illegal sand mining physically affecting these resources and the physical environment around it?
- Discuss the causes of concern.
- Provide for a detailed discussion on how it effects the hydraulic system?
- What steps should be taken to handle this critical situation?
- Take hints from the report and suggest solutions.
Conclude with way forward.