Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
5) Elaborate upon the key features of Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles (FAME-II) scheme , what is the potential it carries for India in the renewable energy sector? (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail in the coming of FAME -II , its impact on the energy sector of the country. The Inter-Ministerial Steering Committee of the National Mission for Transformative Mobility has recently decided to incorporate localization conditions to avail benefits under the FAME-II Scheme. Thus it is necessary for us to evaluate the scheme from exam point of view.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects
Elaborate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief on the significance of the scheme.
- Discussion should include the following aspects –
- salient features of FAME II scheme –
- aims to boost electric mobility and increase the number of electric vehicles in commercial fleets.
- Target: The outlay of ₹10,000 crore has been made for three years till 2022 for FAME 2 scheme.
- The government will offer the incentives for electric buses, three-wheelers and four-wheelers to be used for commercial purposes.
- Plug-in hybrid vehicles and those with a sizeable lithium-ion battery and electric motor will also be included in the scheme and fiscal support offered depending on the size of the battery.
- Discuss its potential – how FAME II scheme will help improve charging infrastructure.
- What are the issues and associated concerns?
- Discuss what can be done to overcome the concerns associated.
Conclude with way forward.