Topic: Issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development, Agriculture.
3) Despite farm productivity rising in the country, severe distress in the Agriculture sector is still a cause of concern. How grave is the situation? Discuss with respect to small and marginal farmers.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article highlights the need for interventions that are required on demand and supply side to alleviate farm distress in the country.
In the current times of elections and their manifesto aiming at votes in the name of loan waivers , the author brings out causes and consequences facing the farm sector in the country.
Demand of the question:
This question seeks to examine
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start with brief introduction – quote some facts to highlight the situation of farm distress in the country.
Discuss the following points in detail:
- What are the factors causing farm distress in the country?
- Public investment in the sector as a percentage of GDP is also stagnant.
- Declining size of land holdings.
- prices are much lower than the MSP [minimum support price] in the market.
- long-term problems such as low capital formation in agriculture persist. Etc.
- Present a case of small and marginal farmers, why is their case different? – take hints from the article and provide for suitable points.
- What needs to be done? – suggest measures to overcome the distress.
Conclude with what needs to be done – suggest holistic approach required to address the problem.