Topic: Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
2) Discuss the nature of the powers of Election commission of India. What is the procedure of disposal of matters that come before ECI? Elaborate on the procedure when the Election commissioner dissents.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article provides for clear insights on the working and functioning of ECI – how it has evolved over time and it pays a special focus on rules that it follows in case of a disagreement.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss clearly nature of the powers of Election commission of India, procedure of disposal of matters that come before ECI and the power of dissent of the chief election commissioner.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Brief upon the recent controversies surrounding the ECI.
- Body of the answer should discuss the following aspects:
- When and under what circumstances did the Election Commission of India (ECI) become a three-member body? – discuss the coming of Article 324 and highlight its significance.
- From being one – member body to multi- member – trace the evolution and respective changes.
- What is the nature of the powers of the Election Commission of India?
- What is the procedure for disposal of matters that come before the Election Commission of India?
- What is the procedure for disposal of matters that come before the Election Commission of India? – discuss recent examples.
- Suggest what needs to be done ?
Conclude with way ahead.