Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability. Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector.
2) Discuss the utility of socio-economic caste census in targeting the beneficiaries across welfare schemes of the country. What are the challenges in choosing the beneficiaries? Elaborate.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article provides for deep analysis of use of socio- economic caste census as a tool to target right beneficiaries in various welfare schemes of the country. One has to analyse the benefits and challenges brought by it.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must appreciate the utility of socio-economic caste census in targeting the beneficiaries across welfare schemes of the country, discuss the associated issues in choosing the right beneficiary in welfare schemes.
Elaborate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Define what you understand by Socio – economic caste census.
Body of the answer should discuss the following aspects:
- Discuss if SECC is a better tool to estimate poverty than the BPL method?
- What is the advantage of using SECC in targeting beneficiaries of welfare schemes?
- What are the Drawbacks of SECC? – SECC collates data regarding the caste of the people. This caste related information faces the danger of being misused by political parties for their ulterior motives. SECC data must be regularly updated in order to remove beneficiaries who have overcome their deprivations. This will put a huge burden on the part of the government etc.
- Suggest what should be done?
A multidimensional approach that incorporates a range of indicators to capture the complexity of poverty is the need of the hour and the SECC seems to be a good tool in the hands of the government in this regard. However, the government should take necessary steps to avoid the misusing of SECC and also to strengthen the SECC.