Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests. Disaster and disaster management.
3) Do you think Disaster alleviation efforts in needs its own ‘Ayushman Bharat’? Critically analyse in the light of recent onset of cyclone Fani that hit eastern coast of India.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the present conditions of preparedness India has with respect to onset of Disasters, the author presses on the need for a comprehensive method to deal, mitigate and stay prepared for disasters like Fani.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects us to elaborate on the need for a comprehensive approach to handle disasters , one has to focus on the aspects of preparedness in terms of provisions of Insurance to the disaster struck with respect to disaster management in the country.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief background of the situation facing eastern coastal India.
Discussion should include the following aspects –
- What aspects of Disaster management are missing in the Indian scenario?
- Explain why it is time to broaden the idea to cover asset losses of the disaster-struck?
- Role of National Disaster and Management Authority (NDMA) visavis lack of insurance aspects.
- Assert that it’s time to move to the next level and work out ways to minimize the loss of property and assets due to disasters. While there are always calls for the government to make ex-gratia payments, the burden is best borne by insurance, a much- neglected tool that spreads the risk of exposure to calamities across large populations.
- Relate disaster management to the Ayushman Bharat of Health
Conclude with way ahead.